Logo Background

Consent Letter For Minor Children To Travel

  • By | Comments Off

    When traveling outside the United States with a minor child certain requirements are needed to prevent immigration problems when entering or leaving a foreign country. You must have a notarized consent letter whether the child is your own, a relatives, or the child of a friend.

    If the minor child is yours, then you will need a notarized consent letter from the non-traveling parent or if the other parent is deceased you will need a certified death certificate. For minor children that are not your own you will a need notarized consent letter from his/her parents or the child’s guardians. If the child is a minor traveling alone they will need a notarized consent letter stating that they are traveling alone without a guardian. It is also important to know that you must have a letter for each minor child you are traveling with.

    Certain information must be included in the consent letter. The full name of the non-traveling parent(s) or guardian(s) should be at the beginning of the letter. Next should be the relationship of the non-traveling parent(s) to the minor child. The next body of text should be the full name of the person authorized to travel with the minor child and their relationship to them.

    You must make certain that the name listed here is the same as what appears on their citizenship documentation. Now you need the full name of the minor child as it appears on their citizenship document and their age at the time the trip begins. You will need to list the countries they will be traveling to as listed on their itinerary, the beginning and ending travel dates, and finally you need to list emergency information which includes insurance and medical details.

    If you are making your arrangements through a travel agency they probably have a mass-generated form that you can fill in with the necessary information. Otherwise you will need to produce your own letter of consent. Below I am providing an example of a formal consent letter for a parent traveling alone with a minor child. All the information is fictitious.

    Sample Permission Letter For Minor Children To Travel


    I, Samuel Lee Johnson, being the non-traveling parent of said minor child, do hereby authorize Brenda Lee Johnson, mother of said minor child, to travel as guardian of Tracy Lynn Johnson, 5 years of age to the countries of Mexico, Spain, and the Bahamas. They will begin their travels on the 14th of June, 2012 and will complete it on the 15th of August, 2012.

    I am providing the following information in case of an emergency. I have Major Medical Insurance with Global Health that will cover medical treatment outside the United States for this child.

    I also authorize the above named person to make medical treatment decisions for the minor child listed above. Should something happen that the above named person is unable to provide medical information or make medical decisions I am providing my contact information.

    Samuel Lee Johnson
    222 Jones Road
    Berkeley, Iowa 37849

    Home Phone 555-555-5555
    Work Phone 555-555-5555

    I am providing an alternate contact name and number should I be unreachable.

    Sarah Johnson 555-555-5555

    Samuel Lee Johnson

    This letter would need to be signed in front of a Notary Public for it to be accepted by immigration.

    Click here to find out more on how to write consent letter to travel with children.

    » Notarized Letter Of Consent To Travel